Below you will find recordings from the webinars Spring 2021. For a full program of the webinars, please visit the page 'How to engage and registration for webinars'.
Full title: The future of baptism in the Nordic countries. What does statistics tell us, and what is
the response of the churches?
Date: Wednesday 10th March 13-15 (CET)
1. Josephine Ganebo Skantz, Analyst, Department of Analysis and Research,
Central Church Office, SE
2. Jarmo Kokkonen, Rev., Dr., Director/Education and Family Affairs, National Church
Council, ELCF, FI
3. Steinunn Björnsdóttir, parish minister, ELCI, IS
4. Bjarke Mortensen, information worker at Centre for Pastoral Education
and Research, DK
Chair: Harald Hegstad
Introductory text: Statistics show a steady decline in the number of baptism in the Nordic folk
churches. In the first part of this webinar, statisticians will present analyses of this numbers, and
discuss future scenarios of this development.
Materials: Jarmo Kokkonen presentation;
Full title: Why should I baptize my child? Qualitative perspectives on new patterns in infant baptism
Date: Wednesday 24th March 13-15 (CET)
1. Ida Marie Høgh, Professor in sociology of religion, University of Agder, NO
2. Karen Marie Sø Leth-Nissen, Researcher, ph.d., at University of Copenhagen, DK
3. Comment: Hanna Salomäki, Director at Church Research Institute, FI
Chair: Steinunn Björnsdottír, Jonas Adelin Jørgensen
Introductory text: While infant baptism used to be a tradition that was taken for granted by most people, in our time baptizing one’s child is today more often a result of a conscious choice. Through empirical data, researchers have been able to analyze reasons for such choices and the cultural pattern they are embedded in. In this webinar, recent research will be presented and discussed.
Full title: Bless, not baptize. Could blessing of children be an alternative when parents choose not to baptize?
Date: Wednesday 7th April 13-15 (CET)
1. Kristján Valur Ingólfsson, bishop em., ELCI; IS
2. Christina Grenholm, Secretary for the church, professor of systematic theology,
Church of Sweden
3. Comment: Terje Hegertun, Professor in systematic theology, MF Norwegian School
of Theology, Religion and Society, NO.
Chair: Karin Tillberg
Introductory text: Many parents who choose not to baptize their child, still want to have a connection to the church for themselves and their children. Often they want the child to chose for itself when it gets older. Others are influenced by a Baptist understanding of baptism, in which a conscious choice is important. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Iceland has developed a litturgy for blessings of children as an alternative to baptism. Other Nordic churches do not want to use such liturgies. In this webinar we will discuss sociological, theological and ecumenical aspects of this question.